Duke of Edinburgh spends second night in hospital
The Duke of Edinburgh is spending a second night in hospital after he felt unwell and was admitted as a precaution. Philip is spending a few days in the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on the advice of his doctor.
The 99-year-old was admitted on Tuesday evening for “observation and rest” and is said to be in “good spirits”.
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson sent his “best wishes” to the duke as he undergoes a period of rest.
Philip, who turns 100 on June 10, received a coronavirus jab in January and his illness is not Covid-related.
It is understood a doctor was called after the duke felt unwell for a short period and he was taken to hospital by car where he walked in unaided as a non-emergency admission.
Philip has spent the latest lockdown with the Queen at Windsor Castle where the monarch has remained working as normal.
Buckingham Palace previously said in a statement: “His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London on Tuesday evening.
“The duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
It is understood the decision to admit Philip was taken with an “abundance” of precaution.
Philip last had a spell in hospital when he spent four nights at the King Edward VII’s in December 2019, where he was treated for a “pre-existing condition” and discharged on Christmas Eve.
Published: by Radio NewsHub