Thousands of abuse victims who shared their harrowing experiences on a ground-breaking new website have prompted multiple police reports.
Metropolitan Police said it received a number of reports of offences of "misogyny, harassment, abuse and assault" via testimonies uploaded to the Everyone’s Invited website, a site where people can anonymously share their experiences of abuse.
It comes after a number of independent schools in the country were accused of failing to deal with complaints about a "rape culture".
As of Saturday, almost 6,000 anonymous stories had been posted on Everyone’s Invited outlining painful recollections of all levels and kinds of abuse – more than 100 schools are named.
Highgate School, a north London private school, announced it would be launching an independent review into issues raised.
A school spokesperson said: "We are horrified and deeply shocked by the testimonies on ‘Everyone’s Invited’ and elsewhere.
"The governing body have appointed the Rt Hon Dame Anne Rafferty to lead the independent review into the issues raised by the testimonies."
The site was founded by Soma Sara who, after sharing stories of rape culture on Instagram after multiple conversations with friends and family, was overwhelmed with responses from strangers.
Everyone’s Invited describes itself as a "movement committed to eradicating rape culture".
A statement on its website reads: "We at Everyone’s Invited could not have begin to have imagined the extraordinary impact the testimonies have had.
"We thank every brave survivor who has shared their story."
A link is also now available on the website to directly report crimes to Scotland Yard.
The Metropolitan Police said where schools had been named on the website, officers have been making contact with them to offer specialist support to any potential victims.
On Friday, the Met began a series of meetings to determine the force’s response to the accounts on the site and the wider issues.
Scotland Yard’s rape and sexual offences lead, Detective Superintendent Mel Laremore, said: "We welcome any initiative which encourages any victim-survivor of a sexual offence to speak out and seek support.
"It is deeply concerning to see the number of accounts published on this website, many of which appear to relate to previous or current experiences within educational settings in London and across the country.
"We take all allegations of sexual assault very seriously.
"We understand the complex and varied reasons why many victim-survivors do not contact law enforcement, but I want to personally reassure anyone who needs our help that we are absolutely here for you."
She added: "It’s apparent some of the incidents referred to on this website may have occurred some years ago.
"Regardless of how long ago an offence took place, I would like to remind any victim-survivor that support is available for you should you wish to speak to us."