Ambulance worker who died after object struck windscreen had ‘retired and returned’ to help with COVID response

The ambulance technician who died after an object struck his vehicle’s windscreen on the way to a 999 call had "retired and returned" to help with the COVID-19 response.

Jeremy Daw, a "loving father and husband" also known as Jack, was killed at the junction of Moreton Road and the A49, north of Hereford at 8am on Saturday, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

His crewmate, the driver, was injured in the incident and required hospital treatment before being discharged – but Mr Daw was confirmed dead at the scene.

Speaking to Sky News, Emergency Services Operations Delivery Director, Nathan Hudson, said the accident took place on a "busy A road" coming out of Hereford.

He said: "I think first and foremost, the condolences of everybody here at West Midlands ambulance service are with the family and also the friends and colleagues of Jeremy Daw who passed away yesterday.

"He was a loving father, loving husband and had done nearly 30 years with the service, and was due to retire – and actually retired and returned.

"He came back to help fight the COVID response within this difficult time we’ve all had the past 12 to 18 months."

Mr Hudson said Mr Daw had an "unbelievable amount" of experience and other than being a paramedic he had worked for the air ambulance as well as mentoring staff across Hereford.

"He spent all his time in Hereford over his 30 years of service – and as a public servant – for those events to have occurred yesterday are devastating.

"Not just for the ambulance service but also for the emergency service colleagues who had to attend that event," Mr Hudson added.

Mr Hudson suggested that foul play is not suspected in the incident.

He said: "We are working really closely with West Mercia police regarding this incident and we’re not expecting this is foul play. We think this incident is an accident – but we do also appreciate there is still an ongoing investigation."

He said the driver of the ambulance was injured, but "responded in an unbelievable fashion" and got out and tried to help and support Jeremy.

Following the incident, West Midlands Ambulance Service Chief Executive, Anthony Marsh, said: "This is truly awful news, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and colleagues of those involved at this very difficult time.

"I am enormously proud of all the staff and the university students as part of their clinical placement that worked so hard and professionally to try to save our colleague. I am sorry that despite their best efforts, he could not be saved."

Anyone who saw what happened – or may have dashcam footage – is asked to contact West Mercia Police on 101, quoting incident 00101i of 24 April.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap